So I don’t know about you guys, but cooking for the longest time seemed so scary to me and I didn’t have much experience other than burning microwave popcorn every time. I figured it would take so much time to plan out all these perfect meals with different recipes each night with ingredients I had never heard of. Well, after a lot of love and encouragement, I decided to face my “fear” and really work at feeling comfortable in the kitchen. A few mistakes here and there, and now I LOVE trying out (EASY) healthy meals!
This one below is in my top 5 GO-TO meals, that also happens to be a hit with my husband!
Chicken Fried Brown Rice
We usually stock up on frozen veggies so we don’t have to run to the grocery store as soon as the fresh ones are out. Between having a bag of “Mixed Vegetable Medley” on hand, and pre-making a lot of brown rice over the weekend to use for lunches during the week, we’re set! If we’re out of chicken, I often substitute for 99% lean ground turkey, which tastes delicious as well.
This is usually enough for 4-5 servings.
1 Bag Frozen Veggies (peas, carrots, corn, broccoli)
1.5 Cups of Brown Rice— pre cooked
3-4 eggs (we LOVE the taste of the eggs, so as many as your pan can fit! Feel free to make some of these just egg whites.)
Olive Oil Spray for the large pan
Soy Sauce (some people use liquid aminos as a healthier substitute option)
1LB Chicken cut up into bite sizes pieces
- Cook brown rice and set aside.
- In a large pan, add Olive oil (or coconut oil) on medium heat.
- Add chicken pieces and garlic. Pour on 2 tbsp soy sauce.
- Turn heat to medium high for about 6-8 minutes or until chicken starts to brown around the edges.
- Then add frozen veggies. Stir for 3-4 minutes, or until veggies become tender.
- Add brown rice, 2 more tbsp soy sauce, and blend.
- Beat eggs in a small bowl
- Make a bare spot in the pan, spray olive oil spray and add beaten eggs. Scramble for 1 minute and then start to blend eggs into rice, stirring for about 2 minutes until eggs are completely cooked.
As long as everything is cooked, you can’t go wrong with this meal! I love that you get all your protein, complex carbs, and veggies in one dish with a little bit of the treat taste of soy sauce.